Certificate IV in Bookkeeping
CODE: FNS40215 CRICOS CODE: 095100K
Duration: 50 Weeks
FEES- Tuition: $8,000 Materials: $500 Application: $250
This qualification, FNS40215 Certificate IV in Bookkeeping is designed to reflect the job roles of contract bookkeepers and employees performing bookkeeping tasks for organisations in a range of industries. It includes the preparation and lodgement of business and instalment activity statement tasks and the provision of advice or dealing with the Commissioner on behalf of a taxpayer in relation to the activity statements. Individuals in these roles apply theoretical and specialist knowledge and skills to work autonomously and exercise judgement in completing routine and non-routine activities.
Course Entry Requirements
This qualification is available to international applicants who are:
- 18 years of age and older, and
- Have achieved a satisfactory result for the Australian equivalent of Year 12 or higher and
- Demonstrate evidence of English language competency at IELTS 5.5 or Equivalent or above (exemptions listed following Course Structure)
Individuals may enter FNS40215 Certificate IV in Bookkeeping with limited vocational experience and without a lower level qualification but preferably after completing FNS30115 Certificate III in Financial Services.
Normal progression through qualifications of FNS 2.1 as promoted by ACOT is:
After completing either FNS40215 Certificate IV in Bookkeeping or FNS40615 Certificate IV in Accounting, individuals could progress to FNS50215 Diploma of Accounting.
The primary pathway from this qualification is employment in a bookkeeping job role with functions that include:
- establishing and maintaining manual and computerised accounting systems
- completing Business Activity Statements (BAS) and other office financial statements
- developing bookkeeping management systems for organisations
- general administration.
To attain a FNS40215 Certificate IV in Bookkeeping, 13 units must be achieved:
- 6 core units
- 7 elective units.
The elective units consist of: 2 units from Group A or Group B electives designated in the course description in the FNS 2.1 training package
Of the remaining 5 units:
- Up to 2 may be from Group A or Group B
- Up to 5 may be from Group C
Up to 2 may be from a Certificate III, Certificate IV or Diploma in any currently endorsed training package or accredited course.
Work functions in the occupational areas where this qualification may be used are subject to regulatory requirements. Refer to the FNS Implementation Guide Companion Volume or the relevant regulator for specific guidance on requirements.
Note the following prerequisite unit requirements (marked by “*”):
Unit in this qualification: FNSBKG403 Establish and maintain an accrual accounting system
Prerequisite unit: FNSBKG402 Establish and maintain a cash accounting system
The unit FNSBKG404 Carry out business activity and instalment activity statement tasks** forms part of the BAS agent registration Skill Set. Persons providing a business activity statement (BAS) service must be registered by the Tax Practitioners Board and this qualification is currently cited as meeting the educational requirements for registration.
Other conditions apply including a designated period of experience. Persons seeking BAS agent registration should check current registration requirements with the Board as this is reviewed regularly.
BSBFIA401 Prepare financial reports
BSBITU306 Design and produce business documents
FNSBKG401 Develop and implement policies and practices relevant to bookkeeping activities
FNSBKG405 Establish and maintain a payroll system*
FNSINC401 Apply principles of professional practice to work in the financial services industry
FNSBKG404 Carry out business activity and instalment activity statement tasks**
FNSACC301 Process financial transactions and exact interim reports
BSBCUS301 Deliver and monitor a service to customers
FNSACC406 Set up and operate a computerised accounting system
FNSACC404 Prepare financial statements for non-reporting entities
FNSBKG402 Establish and maintain a cash accounting system
FNSBKG403 Establish and maintain an accrual accounting system*
FNSACC401 Process business tax requirements
*International Students, please note:
If one of the following applies, you do not need to provide evidence of an English Test score:
- you are enrolled in full-time school studies as a principal course including in a secondary exchange program, a postgraduate research course, a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), and Foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored students
- you have completed at least five years’ study in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland
- you are a citizen and hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland
in the two years before applying for the student visa, you completed, in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while you held a student visa.
Make a Course Enquiry
Need help with other course